Re: [BKARTS] Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Secretary of Arts Petition

HI, Paul!

No, I don't want a "cultural industrial-complex" at all!  I wasn't thinking
of this person as a head of a group of agencies and sub-agencies.  I was
thinking more of someone like the great Greek actress, Melina Mercouri, who
was appointed the Greek Minister of Culture, and who acted more as an
awareness-bringer of arts issues to both the Executive and Legislative
branches of our government.  She fought passionately for the arts and had
the stature to bring issues directly to those who could do something about
them.

Cheers,
Helene

> Dear Helene:
>
> You make a substantial case for the "cultural industrial-complex," the large
> interest group of arts administrators, trustees of not-for-profits, etc, such
> as the wife of the CEO of Lehman Brothers, Kathy Fuld, who sits on the Board
> of Trustees of the Museum of Modern Art.
>
> My question remains: "In what manner and in what degree would a Secretary for
> the Arts benefit Mrs. Fuld and friends any better or more efficiently than the
> Secretary of the Treasury? And to what degree would a Secretary of the Arts
> (as opposed to the present Cabinet), impede or encourage a fair distribution
> of Government funds to those who most need them, your group included?"
>
> Paul Werner, New York
> http://theorangepress.com
>
> WOID: A journal of visual language
> THE ORANGE PRESS, publishing "Vellum Preparation: History and Technique"
> DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of
> the medieval scribe

Helene Whitson
President, San Francisco Lyric Chorus
Co-Author, San Francisco Bay Area Chorus Directory
Founder, San Francisco Bay Area Choral Archive
1824 Arch Street
Berkeley, California  94709
510-849-4689
hwhitson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx