Re: [BKARTS] Secretary for the Arts

Dear Helene:

Yes, I gathered that from your exchange with Signa. However, I would agree (more or less with Signa), that if the position were to be merely symbolic then it would simply leave the actual system as it is, with all its faults. The question then remains, "What should the Arts *policy* of the Obama administration be?" My sense is, that the call for a Secretary actually obfuscates the question, and is meant to do so.

BTW - for anyone curious to find out how much fun it is to be Minister of Culture in a country that devotes a considerable amount of its budget to La Culture, check this out:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x80quk_opera_news

It shows what happens when Christine Albanel, French Minister of Culture, is confronted by the unions that represent the actual artists who supposedly benefit from the Government's largess. Not a pretty sight.

Paul Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of the medieval scribe