Re: [BKARTS] Secretary for the Arts

I'm not sure I'm on board yet with the appointment of a Secretary of the Arts, but am very pleased to see this discussion taking place across the country. In my other life as an arts administrator we're always working to raise consciousness about the arts and socialize kids and families to the idea of including art (museum visits, viewing public art pieces, making art, buying art) in their lives. Grants to artists to make art are important, but building an audience by helping to change the culture of families so that communities see art as valuable (not in the monitary sense) is the larger goal. I think Obama is in a great position to break the perception that the arts only belong to elite society.

all the best,
Roberta

Roberta Lavadour - Pendleton, OR
Mission Creek Press  -  Desultory Press