Re: [BKARTS] Secretary for the Arts

Paul -

I'm always reluctant to get into a discussion like this online because stripped of inflection it can read like a tit for tat playground argument. But, I appreciate your comments and love a little push back and having to hone my opinions, so let's go. We can always take it off-list.

Allow me to add, in passing, that there’s something a bit patronizing, and rather futile, about the idea of using the image of a black president to encourage black kids to buy opera tickets....

First, let's get it straight that Obama's race was not infered or addressed - certainly not by me. I'm guessing your assumption was that kids in our afterschool program would be mostly minorities, which is not true. I'm in Eastern Oregon. Cowtown. Teens I know are drawn to him because he's tech saavy, smart, an exceptional communicator, has abs of steel and a winning smile. So let's get that off the table.

The distinction I made in our possibly differing perceptions had to do with "The Big City" in terms of the "elite" level of the art products - the Guggenheim, MOMA, the opera, etc. vs. the art experiences available in a town of 16,000. The totally different reference - "boots on the ground" community groups - referred to those in both urban and rural areas.

So, let's just disagree about the other stuff...the unconscious struggle by elites to corner the market in partipating in, creating and shaping art, that teachers encourage students to be passive consumers and victims (Although I have to admit that "Victim of Art" has a great ring to it for a supermarket paperback...), etc.

I'm sticking with my stance that the President of the United States is in a great position to change the way people up and down the social ladder think about art.

all the best,
Roberta

Roberta Lavadour - Pendleton, OR
Mission Creek Press  -  Desultory Press