Re: [BKARTS] sewing

Thank you so much Peter for the link to bookbinding videos. Some of my students, scattered way out in the large province of Quebec, will be really happy the moment I forward this link to them.

Helene Francoeur
www.hfrancoeur.com

Peter D. Verheyen a écrit :
I take a spread arm's width (max) and sew until I run out then on knot on more. It's always a horrible idea to sew a book with too long a thread. Gets twisted into knots; caught on buttons, shoes, furniture, the cat, ...; gets worn out and shabby; tears the paper as it gets caught on something while pulling through... I could go on.

My absolute favorite binding (the one I recommend to all my students) for basic traditional binding is Books, Boxes, and Portfolios by Zeier. Really clear instructions that don't assume the student has much equipment. The materials handling section at the front is also excellent.

In terms of videos, look on YouTube. There are good ones, especially the ones by Peter Baumgartner, <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_EcRtRxVXI&feature=channel_page>. The sewing is on Bookbinding Part 2.

Hope this helps.

p.