Re: [BKARTS] Quotes about books

I checked the archives to be sure I wasn't repeating anyone's favorite
quotes in this thread ... and found my own post from 1999. I don't mind
repeating myself, although I've edited some.

She herself was a victim of that lust for books which rages in the breast
like
a demon, and which cannot be stilled save by the frequent and plentiful
acquisition of books.  This passion is more common, and more powerful, than
most people suppose.  Book lovers are thought by unbookish people to be
gentle
and unworldly, and perhaps a few of them are so.  But there are others who
will lie and scheme and steal to get books as wildly and unconscionably as
the
dope-taker in pursuit of his drug.  They may not want to read the books
immediately, or at all; they want them to possess, to range on their
shelves,
to have at command.  They want books as a Turk is thought to want concubines
-
not to be hastily deflowered, but to be kept at their master's call, and
enjoyed more often in thought than in reality. - from Tempest-Tost, by
Robertson Davies

A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without
breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in
your
face . . .  It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get
both provocation and privacy. -- Edward P. Morgan

"Lord!" he said, "when you sell a man a book you don't sell him just twelve
ounces of paper and ink and glue -- you sell him a whole new life. Love and
friendship and humour and ships at sea by night -- there's all heaven and
earth in a book, a real book I mean." ......Chistopher Morley, Parnassus on
Wheels, 1917.

Never judge a book by its movie.  (J.W. Eagan)

"The only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and
which
have gone a little further down our particular path than we have yet gone
ourselves."   (E.M. Forster)

People say that life is the thing but I prefer reading.  (L.P. Smith)

A home without books is like a house without windows.  (H. W. Beecher)

A book is a mirror; if an ass peers in to it, you can't expect an apostle to
peer out. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Reading books in one's youth is like looking at the moon through a crevice;
reading books in middle age is like looking at the moon in one's courtyard;
and reading books in old age is like looking at the moon on an open terrace.
This is because the depth of benefits of reading varies in proportion to the
depth of one's own experience. - Chang Ch'ao

There is no such thing as a moral book or an immoral book. Books are well
written or badly written. That is all. -- Oscar Wilde

Regards,

Beth Lee
Tallahassee, Florida
www.callibeth.com