[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[BKARTS] CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS for Reading: A Selection o f Artists’ Books--Deadline 2/1
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [BKARTS] CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS for Reading: A Selection o f Artists’ Books--Deadline 2/1
- From: Jill Lanza <jill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:08:43 -0600
- Message-id: <917EA883-7CA1-4B0B-9ACB-D05A452A1730@jilllanza.com>
- Reply-to: Book_Arts-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Reading: A Selection of Artists’ Books
Artist's books are greater than the sum of their parts: they are
unique – at once a book, an art object, a texture, a sculpture. They
are not just read; they are experienced, and there is nothing less
enjoyable than being separated from a book you want to read by a
plexiglass box and getting only a notion of what the book experience
in total would be. Without the images, typography, design, and
construction, the words read aloud are only a small part of
experiencing this bookwork. One solution is artists’ books presented
by the book artists themselves in an effort to give a book experience
through various performance strategies.
Are you a book artist? Are you tired of being excluded from
traditional readings, traditional, galleries, and traditional
bookstores because your work is ‘difficult to present’? Do you have a
unique solution for presenting your artists’ book?
Reading: A Selection of Artists’ Books is scheduled during the
Southern Graphics Conference in Chicago, Saturday March 28, 2009, at
the Joan Flasch Artists’ Book Collection at the School of the Art
Institute, from 10am to 3pm.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS for "Reading: A Selection of Artists’ Books"
HOW TO SUBMIT WORK
Dates and Deadlines:
– All submissions must be made electronically to
artistbookreading@xxxxxxxxx by February 1, 2009
– Artists will be notified by e-mail of the jury’s decisions by March
– The reading will take place at the Joan Flasch Artists’ Book
Collection in Chicago on March 28, 2009 from 10 am to 3pm.
The jury will be made up of Chicago artists. They will be looking for
unique, well-crafted book works as well as good solutions to
presenting these works which will best communicate their content and
What to send
For each submission include:
1) A Word or PDF document including in this order:
– your name
– your e-mail
– your phone number
– an artists’ statement specifically about this work and it’s content
– a detailed description of your proposed reading presentation
including any special technical or other needs (projectors, audio
equipment, lighting ...)
2) A Word or PDF document of the text that you will read:
– Each reader will have 6-10 minutes to read/present. Please be sure
that your presentation fits into this time frame.
– If you are proposing to read a portion of a larger work, include
all or enough of the larger work, with the section that you plan to
read highlighted, so that the jury can better understand the entire
work and your presentation.
3) Images of the bookwork:
– Images should be jpeg, 5”x7”, 150dpi.
– Include up to 5 images of the bookwork clearly showing the content,
structure, and how they are related to and will be a part of your
proposed presentation of the work for this reading.
4) Send all submissions to artistbookreading@xxxxxxxxx by the
February 1, 2009 deadline. We will e-mail you to confirm receipt your
5) Questions? E-mail us at artistbookreading@xxxxxxxxx and we’ll do
our best to respond quickly and completely.
Annual Arnold Grummer Press sale now online at
Please note that attachments to listserv messages are not permitted,
and are automatically removed by the listserver.
For all your subscription questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.
See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information.