Re: [BKARTS] Replacement Awl Tips

I use a pin vise which allows one to put in any size needle. You can find them at a hardware store for less than $10. They are used for small drill bits, but will hold a needle as well. I use the same size needle in the vise that I will be sewing with, so for linen thread a fine needle, for heavy waxed linen (Coptic binding) I use a larger needle.

d. guffey

----- Original Message ----- From: "Incline Press" <books.inclinepress@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Replacement Awl Tips

I use a binders needle in the plastic topped cork from a whisky bottle - the
needle is easily replaced if there isn't a sharpening stone to use.

Graham Moss

Incline Press
36 Bow Street
Oldham OL1 1SJ  England

http://www.inclinepress.com

On 23/1/09 18:50, "Mary Yordy" <mary.yordy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Around 7 years ago I selected a awls for the institution where I work and
I liked them so much I bought three for myself. These awls are great
tools. The tip is finer and sharper than the standard wooden-handled ones
sold as bookbinder's awls. I convinced my boss and myself that they were
worth the extra cost--at least twice what the others cost--because they
are designed so the tips can be replaced, and these were inexpensive.

Then company that supplied them dropped both the awls and replacement
tips, and I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Bookmaker's
describes something similar in their catalogue as "Professional Awl" . I
made inquiries, but they never came up with a product, and after many
emails and delays, I gave up. The handles are made of some kind of tough
black plastic and have the letters FAP printed in white. They came with a
small tool that allows loosening or tightening the shaft that receives the
tip. Does anyone know of a supplier?