From: Mary Yordy <mary.yordy@xxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 1:50 pm
Subject: Replacement Awl Tips

Around 7 years ago I selected a awls for the institution where I work and
I liked them so much I bought three for myself.  These awls are great
tools.  The tip is finer and sharper than the standard wooden-handled ones
sold as bookbinder's awls.  I convinced my boss and myself that they were
worth the extra cost--at least twice what the others cost--because they
are designed so the tips can be replaced, and these were inexpensive.

Then company that supplied them dropped both the awls and replacement
tips, and I haven't been able to find them anywhere.  Bookmaker's
describes something similar in their catalogue as "Professional Awl" .  I
made inquiries, but they never came up with a product, and after many
emails and delays, I gave up.  The handles are made of some kind of tough
black plastic and have the letters FAP printed in white.  They came with a
small tool that allows loosening or tightening the shaft that receives the
tip.  Does anyone know of a supplier?