Re: [BKARTS] Correct adhesive for book cloth

I am not familiar with LBS C-1 cloth, but I had much the same experience with pyroxylin-type cloth several years ago, i.e. synthetic leathers. The cloth seemed to reject the glue, which was Jade 403. The glue would "draw up", leaving areas with no visible adhesive. And there were bubbles and pockets, no matter what I did. Some experimentation led me to a solution of sorts, which worked for me.

I would cut the cloth a little larger than I wanted, as experience showed me that it would shrink somewhat. The cloth piece was clipped to a piece of Davey board for control, and the adhesive (Jade) was spread over it. The glue-out cloth was allowed to dry, about an hour. A second coat of Jade adhesive was then spread over the cloth and the case made up as usual. A good nip in the press, followed by an overnight drying under restraint usually did the job. I had little, if any bubbling, so long as the cloth was prepared in this manner.

The glue did not strike through the cloth, perhaps because the first pre-coat of adhesive sealed the surface. And the priming coat stabilized the cloth, so that it did not curl or stretch. I did not ever notice that the case cambered any differently than would have been expected, once it was actually on the book with endpapers set.

Making boxes was more difficult, since these can't usually be dried under restraint. We used a teflon folder to bone down well. And hoped. If there were bubbles, they were small and could be ironed down with release paper over them. There was little problem, however.

It might be worth mentioning that I used a paint spreader (a small hand-type made for painting edges and corners) to spread the Jade. Worked fine, and it was fast.

Carol
Eugene, OR

---------