[BKARTS] getting published

I recently used MyPublisher to organize photographs from a trip "home." Nice layouts, awful paper.
A few photographers and another artist from a local university suggested I try to find a trade publisher believing the subject matter would appeal to a broader market.  Does anyone have any experience getting a book published and could you suggest  how I could  start to explore this process?
Positive, constructive remarks or suggestions only please--the voices in my head are already telling me not to waste my time but hey, its a new year.  (ALso does anyone have microsoft Vista and did they figure out how to turn on spellcheck?)

Thanks and stay well.
Debra Fink Bachelder