[BKARTS] open source imagery on web

I am looking for some sources for open source, i.e. rights free, imagery on the web for some digital books I am working on. I was aware of hardbound publications offering such images from my student days and was hoping there might be some comparable sources on the web.
Ideas?
Thanks

Jim Cohen
jimseren@xxxxxxxxxx