Re: [BKARTS] Methods of improving recycled card

I am thinking these are probably RC prints, which are the most common to be found anywhere, quick and easy. In the States it is becoming very difficult to get fiber-based prints made, and they are considerably more expensive than 10¢ each. Resin-coated prints are not considered archival. The processing is/was developed a long time ago, as a very rapid (and originally temporary) method of producing photos. I am sure it has been "improved", but it's still problematic.

Since the photos are almost certainly not archival or permanent in themselves, I guess I wouldn't get my undies in a bunch worrying overmuch about the paper they were mounted on. Old-fashioned black photo album stock is usually considered pretty awful, but it has not really been the kiss of death to the snapshots mounted on it that you'd expect. Glue, however, has often done more damage than the black paper. I suggest using the recycled content stock that you have, although as Peter suggested, it might relieve your mind somewhat to do a pH test on it. The relative acidity of the stock is only a piece of the preservation puzzle for photographs, however.

If you were mounting paper-based archival photos, then more care and caution would certainly be a concern. Do you think these albums need to last a hundred years or more? If so, then an archival copy would be advised for your own files, not using the cheaper form of print, which nearly all of us buy nowadays. Such an archive would be costly, of course.

Carol
Eugene, OR
===