Re: [BKARTS] Headbands as part of sewing of the book

** From previous messages you missed **

Me:

I am not just looking instructions on working endbands (I have them)
Just to make my question clear : I need headband which sewn at the same time
with the the textblock.

These are known as integral headbands. I recommend Szirmai's "The Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding" (pp204-5) for a discussion and good illustrations of their construction.

Bill Cotter

Also check the Keith Smith books. They have some of that... If you
know how to do sewn endbands, they can be adapted to being sewn with
the text, but it takes some figuring. The plain wound primary is one
of those...

p.

If available, see

Greenfield, Jane, "Notable Bindings", (2002 (not her usual treatment of
headbands)

Szirmai, J.A., The Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding (1999)

Diehl, Edith, "Bookbinding, Its Background and Technique. Volume Two."
(1980)

Alan Shalette

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott J. Coutts" <scott.coutts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>