Re: [BKARTS] Headbands as part of sewing of the book

Whichever one fits what you are trying to do. To my mind he only wrote 5 or
6 how-tos, and any dealing with longstitch wrapping over the end of the
signatures should help. The rest is just wrapping the thread around a core
of some sort.

In terms of endbands, in many traditional bookbinding texts you will get one
(maybe 3 or 4 if you're lucky) image to work from. The rest one needs to
figure out. Most avoided are the beginnings and the endings. Remember there
are MANY paths to the same result. For some context, my colleague Donia Conn
and I figured out a Byzantine (in every respect) endband from two diagrams
in "Les Tranchefiles Brodèes: Etude Historique et Technique." That's it!
Headbands: How to Work Them by Jane Greenfield and Jenny Hille gives by far
the most instruction, almost too much, and is a standard in this area.

I realize that this doesn't help much, but with practice, improvisation, and
the adaptation you'll get it and with a smile wonder why there wasn't more
too it.

p.

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC