[BKARTS] new book on the subject of French publishers' bindings

Here is a little book report-- I thought that BAL subscribers might be interested in a recent book written by a French binder on the subject of mid-19th century French decorative publishers' bindings. Personally, I had looked for something on this subject for a long time and I think this is a great addition to the literature. I ordered one for the Watson Library (Metropolitan Museum of Art- we do have ILL), so we should have it here pretty soon (my personal copy came yesterday). The bindings described are the beautiful and highly decorative chromolithographic and embossed paper bindings called Cartonnage Romantiques. The book is beautifully illustrated in full color with lots of pictures of the disbound book and diagrams of sewing structures, so you can see how they were made.

Here is the citation:

Elisabeth Verdure. Caronnages Romantiques, 1840-1870: un age d'or de la reliure du livre d'enfant. Editions Stephane Baches, 2008.  I think I paid about $65 on Amazon. - Enjoy, Mindy