Re: [BKARTS] A question about Filmoplast-P

I have a conservation question about simple book repairs: in my other life, I run a preschool. We teach the children to handle the books carefully, but sometimes there's a rip. We buy, for the most part, quality hardbound books, which are a beautiful investment in the children's nurture.

What I have been doing with the occasional torn page is to take some saran wrap (always handy, relatively inexpensive) and fully protect both pages facing the torn one, then apply a thin film of PVA to just the edges of the tear and burnish them down, close the book, and let the glue set for a day or two. Are there better techniques you can share?

Also, we have a nice hardbound children's book from England, out of print but much loved, that has a couple of signatures that have come loose. I am trying to figure out a way to resew the signatures in without taking the book apart. Any ideas? Would I be able to use one of those curvy upholsterers' needles to get in there?

I love the people on this list! : )

Thanks,

Kathy