Re: [BKARTS] repairing torn pages

It sounds like you have had some success using PVA, however, I would advise against using it for the following reason: The use of PVA for mending could be a problem because PVA tends to block. Blocking is something that happens when a dry adhesive adheres to another surface when there is a small amount of pressure. And cleanliness would be most important with PVA as it is not easily removed. Also, do not sand the paper as that would cause more damage.
Of course, the ideal method of mending a torn page is the use of a thin, strong tissue (Japanese paper) using wheat paste. Wheat paste is easily applied, and dries clear and clean, and it will not adhere to other surfaces when dry. Unfortunately, wheat paste and Japanese paper are not readily available at the corner store.
So, what is an easy, and readily available solution for a torn page for the general public? That's a good question, and one that the conservation field and suppliers have not addressed. Obviously, there are manufacturers with materials such as Filmoplast that offer an alternative that meets some of the needs. Some other people might use cellophane tape, but that has to be the worst choice.
One possible alternative is a coated Japanese paper that is activated with water, but it is not commercially available.
So, lacking the right material, my best recommendation is to use the Filmoplast until a better alternative is available. At least Filmoplast is supposed to be easily removable even after it ages.
Bill Minter