Re: [BKARTS] repairing torn pages

About a year ago someone on this list mentioned the use of a stirrer for preparing wheat paste. I don't know whether such an apparatus is manufactured any longer, but, the suggestion went, maybe you can pick up one on EBAY. I did one of those perpetual EBAY automatic searches, and in about 6 months found one. Their primary use is in preparing kitchen sauces, but it works beautifully for wheat paste: just use the cooking directions for white sauce. After the paste has thickened, keep the stirrer going till the sauce has cooled down to room temperature and add the PVA, if you are making 1/2 PVA + 1/2 wheat paste. One run gives me enough adhesive to last 6 months, no fuss and very little muss.

John MacKrell wrote:

Hi Erik,

It sounds like you are not cooking the paste long enough.  Here is a
microwave formula
1 part rice starch to 5 parts water
Cook a total of 3 minutes (4 times for 30 second, then approximately 3 times
for 20 seconds although you may have to shorten the final intervals
slightly)
A key to this is to stir--after each cooking interval stir at least as long
as you cook, so the complete process takes about 6 minutes

If you cook on a stove, use a double boiler and stir frequently or
continuously until you get a nice thick ball of paste, you can always thin
it down by adding water

You should not have to iron the Japanese paper guards, they should come out
relatively smooth if they are done correctly

Regards,

John MacKrell
---
Ann Arbor, Michigan