Re: [BKARTS] repairing torn pages

Would either the pre-gel Wheat Starch or Jin Shofu suffice for the needs in
the US?  Bookmakers sells both as described below and can be found at the
link:  http://www.bookmakerscatalog.com/catalog/adhesives/adhesives.htm

Pre-gel Wheat Starch

Pre-cooked wheat starch in powder form without any additives.  Simply mix
with cold water to desired consistency. Popular for use as a poultice for
removing adhesives on broken spines. 		A-PREGEL 1-pound jar $6.25

Zen Shofu (aka "Jin Shofu")

A highly refined wheat starch adhesive which must be mixed with water and
cooked. Wheat starch paste is very strong, even when diluted. It forms a
much more flexible adhesive layer than rice starch making it more desirable
for many book conservation needs.  Zen Shofu provides the strongest and most
pure of the wheat starch pastes

One typical recipe:  Mix 20 grams of wheat starch to 200 ml of distilled
water; cook for 15 minutes, stirring constantly, and then cool for another
15 minutes, also stirring constantly. After straining, it can be diluted to
the desired consistency and kept refrigerated.

Microwave recipe:  In a deep container, mix 1 tablespoon of wheat starch
with 5 tablespoons of distilled water.  Place in a microwave on high setting
for 20-30 seconds.  Remove the paste and stir, place back in the microwave
another 20-30 seconds.  Remove and stir again.  Continue to a cumulative
time of 3 to 4 minutes until you get the desired consistency which will
depend upon your needs and individual microwave appliance.  When done, let
the paste rest a few minutes before using.	A-ZEN 1/2 pound $11.50
								A-ZEN-1
pound $20.36

Neither are Rice based, but I would thing the Jin Shofu comes closest.

John