From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Erik
Haagensen
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:13 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: repairing torn pages

John, thanks for yur advice.

Actually I'm not ironing for the sake of smoothness - just for a quick
dry-up!
I only do this when I'm in a hurry and when I know (or have testet) that the
paper and/or the print will tolerate it.
Frankly I don't not the long term effect on repair that has been
"heat-treated" this way - but normal papers does not have any problems when
temperature is not too high.

I'm using wheat or wheat starch - never rice. But if these different
materials behave relatively the same - it seems from your advice that I use
a too short boiling time.
I'll try a fresh batch according to your instruction on paper that I now has
this problem with adhesion.

--
mvh
Erik Haagensen