Re: [BKARTS] repairing torn pages

I use "Star" brand rice flour for woodcut chores and other printmaking related tasks and it is easy to get a smooth strong paste from this product.

In my limited experience, an important part of making paste is careful heating.  I prefer to move the pan into and away from the heat about three times while stirring with a wooden whisk, rather than keeping it on the stovetop the entire time and overcooking it.

I have, on one occasion, made my own wheat starch by sewing up 5lb. of whole wheat flour into a muslin bag and kneading this repeatedly in a large basin of water, pouring off the water and starch into gallon size settling jars as needed.  This is a lot of work but it is productive in that a fair amount of starch can be had this way.

Further refining involved letting organisms grow on a shallow layer of water and extend tendrils down into the starch to feed of any remaining gluten.  These were skimmed off from time to time until their growth was slowed to a point where I felt most of the gluten had been removed, where in I dried the starch into a grainy powder.

Altogether it was a long process, hard work and smelly in the final phase.  I could have added some oil of clove or Formalin in the final evaporation but did not feel it was needed or desired.

I am happy enough with the result but I use the rice flour more often for my little projects.

Eli