Re: [BKARTS] repairing torn pages

No, don't use formaldehyde. It's not recommended, period, and not necessary, either.

I've been making starch paste for a long long time, and some while ago I learned how to keep it in the fridge for a long time:

Cook the paste as you normally would (I use wheat starch, but I see no reason why rice or corn starch wouldn't work equally well. AND I use distilled water when I make it.). Scrape the cooked paste into a thoroughly clean jar with a tight lid. I will wash the jar in a dishwasher or by hand, and sometimes I'll rinse it with isopropyl alcohol (just because). Cover the paste with distilled water. Cap and place in the fridge.

Each time I need paste, I drain the water off, spoon some paste into a sieve, and screen it into a fresh, very clean cup. The remaining paste is once again covered in distilled water, capped, and returned to the fridge. It will keep just fine without evidence of mold or any off-smells for several weeks. Even for many weeks.

The bench paste can be "preserved" for an extended time by using a drop of clove oil on the inside of the cap. The clove oil won't drip or otherwise get into the paste, but the vapors from it will serve to keep mold away for many days.

I don't notice any particular change in "tack" from storing the paste this way, and the separation of the water from the adhesive doesn't affect it either, because all the water is drained off each time some is taken from the jar. It should be mentioned that I keep specific containers, sieve, and a silicon scraper solely for use with the paste.

Carol Eugene, OR =====