Re: [BKARTS] Fungicide

I do not agree with adding anything into PVA or other solutions because of the unknown long-term affects.

We have found the best way to prevent mold growth is to only use small containers of our solutions at a time. For example, we leave our PVA in its large tubs and only pour out small tupperware-sized containers at a time. That way, we are only putting our brushed into a small portion of the glue and not contaminating the entire jug. If we do get mold in the small containers, we just throw the little bit out. Mostly, we use the glue quickly so mold does not have time to grow. We have never had a problem with mold growth in the large containers.

Heather

Quoting Jet Foncannon <bolu.bolu@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

   Different strokes for different folks.  Because of someone's
recomendation on this list, I purchased some Tea Tree Oil.  The effect
it had on retarding fungus growth in my 1/2 PVA + 1/2 wheat starch?
Zero.
   Sure makes my books smell nice, though.

David Amstell wrote:

The recent discussion on paper repairs brought forth the question on
fungicides for adhesives, and the use of Formaldehyde.

It is best to leave formaldehyde well alone.  It has had its day in manual
and bench uses such as ours.  As Wikipedia says:  "In view of its widespread
use, toxicity, and volatility, exposure to formaldehyde is a significant
consideration for human health".

In our workshop, we have been using tea tree oil for decades.  It reduced
our fungal problem to.....zero.

The drug store should have some.  A few drops is all you need.  We use it
in all our formulas - adhesives (synthetic resins, pastes, methocel), dye
solutions, etc.  We use it diluted about 50% with IPA (Isopropanol) or
denatured alcohol, as it is a strong and potent oil.  It is also
aromatically very strong.  The Australian aborigines have been using it for
thousands of years for its many medical properties.  It is also a natural
antiseptic.

David

go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~- Heather Marie Kosur Illinois State University Milner Library Processing/Conservation Campus Box 8900 201 North School Street Normal, Illinois 61790-8900 (309) 438-5941 hmkosur@xxxxxxxxx