Re: [BKARTS] repairing torn pages

R John Miller wrote:
Thanks for that tip.  I have plenty of corn starch and even Rice Flour (Goya
makes it and it can be found in the Latino section of the Supermarket.)  But
somehow someone's recipe for cooking your own calls for "2 drops of
formaldehyde" I guess to prolong its life and preserve it. But where on
earth, besides a mortuary are you going to obtain the Formaldehyde?

Distilled water I can see, but Formaldehyde?  Won't the fridge suffice to
hold it for a couple of weeks?

The stuff printed in antiquarian books on our beloved craft, though time
tested and rarely changed, do tend to come up with the oddest of things to
use in making paste.

But I like the idea of the double boiler wither self-stirrer, let's see if
ABC or someone on the wholesale side sells them. I will report.

Hi,

Firstly, you don't need distilled water. Any water will be fine, unless you live somewhere that has very coloured or mineralised water... I doubt there would be many places that have mains water so bad that it couldn't be used.

Secondly, I would avoid using formaldehyde or any other preservative. As you said, the fridge is fine for keeping it for a week or so. Anyway, it's cheap and easy enough that you can make batches as you need it and discard the remainder. If you're worried about the waste, put it on the garden or mix it with your pet's food. Formaldehyde is toxic and carcinogenic.

Cheers,

Scott.