Re: [BKARTS] Paste Cookers...

Hi William,
The water does not have to reach boiling to make paste. There are many recipes which state to just "pour boiling water on the cold water and slurry mixture" which, of course, would instantly be well below boiling. Personally I make paste in a double boiler which cannot get any hotter than 212 degrees and usually is well below that unless the pot is boiling madly for a long time.
Perhaps it is important to bring the water to a boil in the directions you have in order to sterilize the water. I use distilled water for that purpose.
I would love to try one of the automatic stirrers but I have three reservations: 1. the cost is rather high when I already have a hot plate and a double boiler. 2. I think cleaning it could be time consuming and 3. I use the constant stirring activity as a meditative time.
Dave Allen

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

William Minter wrote:
When these devices were introduced, the first thing that I saw was that the temperature is "about 150F" or 200F. From what I understand about making paste, it is important that the water is brought to a boil.
Note: Even the older "Cook-N-Stir" that was available years ago, it also did not boil water --- again approx. 200F.
Perhaps there is need for further investigation and discussion.
Bill Minter