Re: [BKARTS] smoke from leather

You can try burying the leather in kitty litter, the cheaper odor- removing kind. In the States we can buy several different types, and for deodorizing books and papers I used the cheaper variety (not "clumping", which is more costly). Baking Soda or bicarbonate of soda might work, but I think there is supposed to be a zeolite or odor-trap in the kitty litters that don't use baking soda, and it is the zeolite that does the work.

I used a plastic box with a tight-fitting lid for deodorizing. The control material (the kitty litter in my case) went in to the box, the smelly material was laid over it, then another layer of deodorizer went over the top. The lid went on, and I left it for a week or two or three. Whatever it was that I was treating, it always came out smelling better than it did before. The books or paper were wrapped in spun polyester sheets (as Reemay or sewing interface) to keep dust out of the objects. Leather might not be so touchy.

Alternatively, there may be a zeolite compound on the market, made especially for tobacco smoke. Most or many of the deodorizers sold here are pretty heavily embellished with pretty scents, which can be as obnoxious as the initial offender. One could check in housewares shops, hardware stores, or perhaps even janitorial supply businesses.

I think that activated charcoal might also be helpful. Or you could try just airing the leather for a while. Fresh air will work magic sometimes. And there might be a layer of "smoke" on the leather surfaces, which could be cleaned off first.

Carol
Eugene, OR
-------