Re: [BKARTS] spray adhesive?

I've used Rolataq with good results, too, although it can cause some curling. It is not reversible, since it is a PVA. However, it might be used on the edges only, which would minimize curl. I wouldn't think that color shifting or moving would be a problem with it, since there is really not a lot of moisture put into the paper. I don't think that I would want to apply it all over a piece of thin paper, out of concern for tearing, etc. And applying it to the backing might "show" when dry.

Since PVA is a thermoplastic adhesive, some experimenting with a similar paper would determine whether a layer of Rolataq could be dried, then heat-set in place. Or if the Rolataq on the backing (say at the corners only) would be secure enough if heat-set. The problem is, of course, that separation later could be difficult or even impossible. I've used heat to loosen and lift materials where PVA was used, but getting the stuff off the surface was not really possible.

I wonder about positioning the cutout on the backing, weighting it, then lightly brushing the very periphery with a dry-ish starch paste and letting it finish under weight with a piece of pellon, blotter, and a weighted board. I've done that with good results, but the paste must be thick and "dry" enough that it won't cause the color to run. Just a thin line along the edge would hold it.

There are also some adhesives used in the art fields for mounting that are reversible and fairly easy to control. Look at Talas' website at the BEVA adhesive. There are several forms, including some dry films suitable for heat-setting. BEVA is considered reversible. Someone on this list who has used it can offer more experience and commentary than I can.

I'd be very reluctant to try spray glue of any kind, since it is by intent only temporary, and it can cause staining over time.

Carol
Eugene, OR

------

On Feb 15, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Victoria Pittman wrote:

I've had good luck with Rolataq hand held adhesive for small and larger pieces of rice paper.
You have about 10 minutes to reposition before it holds permanently
?My pieces are holding up well after 15 years or so.
I agree that the sprays will yellow after a certain time.

I suppose if it is too delicate though, the best solution is the loose method that Jacqueline mentioned.

Victoria

***********************************************

Please note that attachments to listserv messages are not permitted,
            and are automatically removed by the listserver.

For all your subscription questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.
See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information.

[CoOL]

Search BookArts Archives

This page last changed: May 19, 2009