Re: [BKARTS] Hickok standing press - restoration

Alex,

I read your message with interest.   I acquired back in the '70s from the
printer and bookbinder in my village an old Hampson,Bettridge & Co.
standing press, probably made ca 1860-70 .  The address at that date was
found in a trade directory for London.

It was in filthy condition, but was complete.   The wood was heavily
blackened and stained, but I was able to clean it down by careful use of a
belt sander to the clean wood.   I believe it was constructed from chestnut
and elm.

The metal parts were more problematic.    I had them sand blasted back to
the bare metal (making sure the square Acme thread was protected) prior to
enamelling, which removed the remnants of the original enamelling.  The
threaded portion I managed to find someone with a large lathe to hold the
piece which allowed me to carefully clean the thread using fine emery paper
back to the bright steel.   The other screwed part was brass, which was
cleaned with metal polish and light hand-sanding.     The other metal parts
were also sand blasted.

Having covered the parts not needing paint the stove enameller then primed
the metal and applied the final enamel colour -  I used Brunswick Green.
The name plate I finished by picking out the maker's name and address with
imitation gold paint.

I have not finished the wood, except for a coat of suitable oil.   I think
leaving the wood in its natural state is best, rather than painting.   The two
large coach bolts into the wood holding the platen to the "handle" were
sanded clean and treated with rust preventer gel (contains phosphoric acid).
I would use this gel on the metal platen surfaces after cleaning.

If you can find a good tool shop you ought to be able to find a replacement
bolt and suitable washers.   A good machine shop should be able to tell you
the type of thread on the missing bolt, or find a nut that fits.   If I was
replacing them I would give consideration to using zinc plated bolts to resist
corrosion.

I am not sure when your press might have been made, but the casting
presumably gives a name and location?    Would a library in that area have
old trade directories that would enable you to trace the maker and therefore
the approximate dates?

I cannot give  date for your press, or its rarity.   Wooden standing presses
with similar handles to yours are shown in Diehl's book (1948) and also
Cockrells book (1906) and have been around for some 150 years or more.
The standing press at the auction of Cockrell's Bindery, St Ives, in 1990 sold
for £2600, but that high price was primarily due to the name association.

Hope that helps a little

Regards
Rodney Fry
Crowthorne
England

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent with PegasusMail 4.41, BT Broadband System
W98 4.10.2222A 2nd Edn on ABIT KR7A-RAID,
AVG Free 7.5.552,  Mozilla Firefox browser ver 2.0.0.20
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx