Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:01:42 -0500
From: aweigle@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Faulty Binding
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi:

Seems that once a perfect bound book (I am assuming this is basically a "large paperback" type binding (large trade?)
starts falling apart, there is no way of trying to repair without weakening the existing bind. So.....I end up rebinding them as hard backs. I basically remove the covers, clean the spine from any adhesive. I line the spine with mull as well as drilling three to five small holes near the bindedge (hope that makes sense to readers) to do a running stitch with binders thread. Then I prepare the boards and cloth to create the text case (cover) and then with endsheets attached to text block (the book itself) I recase the book.

Anastasia S. Weigle
"In A Bind" Studio
402 High Street, Suite 405
Portland, ME  04101