[BKARTS] "Dos-à-Dos: Two Views" at South Florida's Jaffe Center for Book Arts

DOS-à-DOS: TWO VIEWS
Marie Marcano and Hanne Niederhausen

JCBA's newest exhibition features the work of two Florida artists: Marie Marcano and Hanne Niederhausen.

"If I could write on water," Marcano says, "I would do it. Actually, I have done it... just for an instant." Marcano investigates the written word as visual phenomenon, using invented alphabets and calligraphic shapes. But writing, to her, is also "visual sound." For Marcano's part, this show features video works, installations, and artists' books where presence or absence of illegible text embraces silence and noise.

"I am always striving to expand the parameters of what defines a book," says Niederhausen. She uses her background in traditional printmaking as a springboard for these further explorations into the book form, working extensively in the medium of altered books as sculptural objects, while also extending into the realm of handmade books.

The term "Dos-à-Dos" refers to two books that are bound together to form one whole. And in much the same way, we've brought these two distinct views together for an exhibition that is striking, amusing, and engaging.

This library-wide exhibition runs through Tuesday, April 28, 2009. This includes the main lobby of the Wimberly Library, the Wimberly Administrative Offices (2nd floor west), and the lobby of the Jaffe Center for Book Arts (3rd floor east), as well as inside the Jaffe Book Arts Gallery. The exhibition may be viewed anytime during regular library hours, which may be found at www.library.fau.edu/ geninfo/hours.htm?boca or by calling (561) 297-3770.

Join us for an opening reception on Sunday, March 1, from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM, during which you can meet both artists. We'll have information posted to the JCBA website soon, but for now... here are websites for the two artists:

www.mariemarcano.net
www.niederhausen.net/hanne

John Cutrone
Programs Coordinator
The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
http://www.jaffecollection.org