Re: [BKARTS] Faulty Binding

I don't trust simply regluing loose pages, somehow it seems like the whole
problem with so-called "perfect" binding.

When I was in College in the early 1990's, that is the time I got into
recasing books because so many expensive college textbooks are perfect and
so poorly bound.

On volumes of less than one inch I would work the fly sheet away from the
cover, usually a softbound, and pull the cover all the way back to the
spine, I would then hand drill a series of five to seven 1/16" holes along
the spine approximately 0.25" in from the spine, I would then glue up the
sewing with a 0.25" overlay and relay the cover and place the book in a
press.  With practice I got the art down to a science, such as knowing a
little PVA goes a long way.  And a small bump of stitching along the
saddle-stitched top and bottom is of small consequence knowing that the book
will not loose any pages due to wear or usage again.

As for hardcover books, they remain a mystery to me although Cockerell,
Watson, Banister, and others have helped me to understand the dynamics of
the hardbound book, I still wish I could find someone to either take my on
as an apprentice in the Baltimore Area, or have someone underwrite my first
two CBBAG Monitored Streamed courses so that I could at least get feed back
on what I was doing and if I was doing it wrong.

But I would NEVER simply paste loose pages together stick a cover on it and
call it a book, as the perfect binding method does to me, that is tantamount
to sacrilege.

Best,

John Miller