Re: [BKARTS] Faulty Binding

We tip in pages that fall out of books (circulating collections repair) all the time and it works quite well, considering. If there is a real problem with the textblock we'll send it out for commercial rebinding, but also have the tools in-house to do it ourselves, including in the round - a really nice option I like to take advantage of.

It all depends on how you do it. If you take a stack of paper and just put glue on the back, it's like making a pad of paper, if you fan it increasing the surface area receiving glue it can work out quite well. Then there's the glue. As an apprentice in Germany we used the Planatol BB Superior. Amazing stuff for fan gluing and the book hold up great. Most other commercial grade PVAs (Jade, Elvace, ...) are similar. It's all in the technique. I've also never drilled holes through the text, cut in kerfs for cords, ...

Peter Jerman has a very good tutorial online at <http://www.temperproductions.com/Bookbinding%20How-to/Fan-gluing%20Basics/fanglue.htm>.

>At 07:02 PM 2/19/2009, you wrote:
>But I would NEVER simply paste loose pages together stick a cover on it and
>call it a book, as the perfect binding method does to me, that is tantamount
>to sacrilege.

Otherwise, let's avoid the hyperbole and tendency towards dramatic indignation, especially if the process isn't really understood..., 'kay?

Cheers, p.

Peter D. Verheyen
Head of Preservation and Conservation
Syracuse University Library