[BKARTS] Case Binding-Spine Measurement?

I have a group of students making a case-bound book with multiple signatures
sewn on tapes. The case consists of three boards, including front and back
and spine. We used the customary method of measuring the book block plus the
front and back boards to obtain the spine measurement, and yet for some,
this spine proved to be too wide. It almost seems as if the book block has
shrunk. Is there a better method for obtaining the width of the spine board?

Also, is it possible to add a couple of signatures to the book block to make
it fit the already built case, once it has been set with mull?

Thanks.

Katie Harper

--
Katie Harper