[BKARTS] SF Chronicle–Berkeley Book Class Story

There was an article in yesterday's San Francisco Chronicle that might be of interest.

—Ellen G.

Les Ferriss spread printer's ink on a sheet of glass and its scent filled the room. A half-dozen UC Berkeley students scrutinized his every move. Soon, they would be learning a little of his craft.

"This is the same roller I used when I took this class a quarter- century ago," said Ferriss, who now teaches the very same course. That's how little has changed in "The Hand-Printed Book in its Historical Context," one of Cal's most popular and unusual offerings.

Students in the class, which takes place in the newly renovated Bancroft Library, learn to set type and to print a small book with an 1856 Albion hand press.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/25/ BAHH160N5G.DTL&hw=cal+book+printing+class&sn=001&sc=1000