Re: [BKARTS] Guaranteeing Bookbinding?

Bob,

Depending upon the work done a full restoration can usually be said to "last the lifetime". I don't really elaborate whether their lifetime or mine but since I'm 60 and by family records might make it to about 100+ that gives them a 40 year guarantee.

I was in marketing for years before hanging out my bookbinding shingle and a word of thumb we used when a client asked what guarantee he would offer was to ask him "How long do you think the product will last?" When he gave the answer we always responded by telling him to at least double that amount for his guarantee. You work on assumption that 80% of the people who want to complain won't and the 20% who do will become your booster if you honour your warranty.

This all may sound cynical to those of you from different backgrounds but let me assure you it's the same reasoning Sears and Land's End use in their marketing and they are always winning awards for their customer service.

Dave Allen

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm curious if anyone would be willing to share what kind of guarantees they promise for book repairs. I'm guessing most everyone would quickly redo an ineffective restoration/repair, but do any of you promise something more sweeping? Bob Roberts