[BKARTS] Secret Belgian Binding quandary

Hi! I am remaking a SBB project that has been on the side for a long time and I am trying to remember whether you sew the book block first or weave the boards and spine together, and then sew the bookblock to the boards. My recollection is that we sewed the block first, putting some spacers in where the attachments would lace through, and then wove the cords that connected the boards and spine second. I found directions on the 'Net and it has it the other way 'round.

Can anyone help here?

Thanks!

Kathy G

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead