Re: [BKARTS] Literary Bookbinding Quote

So I'm curious - why DID the publishers/booksellers not cut the pages?

KG

On Feb 28, 2009, at 1:50 AM, roroberts@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I just read a good bookbinding quote in Charles Reade's "Christie Johnstone", published in 1853. Describing how a gentleman passes time on a journey:
"[Your manservant] puts in your hand a new tale like this; you mourn the superstition of booksellers, which still inflicts uncut leaves upon humanity, though tailors do not send home coats with the sleeves stitched up..."

Bob Roberts www.gildedleafbindery.com