Joel Cohen and Ann Azéma, of The Boston Camerata
A Jaffe Athenaeum Concert
"In Yonder Valley: A Brief Introduction to Shaker Life and Music"
Monday, March 23, 2009
7:30 PM
Jaffe Book Arts Gallery

Anne Azéma, soprano, Artistic Director of The Boston Camerata and Joel Cohen, Director Emeritus, will present a musical program and discussion on the the connection between Shaker songs and early English and American folk music. The two will also explore Shaker music as an integral part of Shaker life and worship, as well as the transmission and notation of Shaker melodies.

The most famous Shaker song, of course, is "Simple Gifts," but the Boston Camerata has for years been exploring the beauty of all Shaker music in performances all over the world. Azéma and Cohen are frequent visitors to Chosen Land, the Shaker Community at Sabbathday Lake, Maine, to further research Shaker music, and, in fact, the Shakers of Sabbathday Lake have performed with the Boston Camerata at concerts in New England. The Boston Camerata has performed to packed houses all over the world, and it is truly an honor for us to have Anne and Joel perform and speak here at the Jaffe. You can learn more about the Boston Camerata at their website (www.bostoncamerata.com).

Tickets to this intimate concert event are very limited. We will sell only about 50 tickets to this "Living Room Concert" with two of the most accomplished musicians in the choral tradition. This is a benefit concert with proceeds benefitting JCBA's Education Fund, bringing extraordinary exhibitions, lectures, and hands-on workshops with leading book artists to the Jaffe Center. This fund also provides scholarships giving FAU students the opportunity to study with these artists.

Minimum donation per ticket is $25, though larger donations are certainly encouraged (and appreciated!) for this worthy cause. Give $45 or more per ticket and accept our gift to you: a Boston Camerata recording of your choice on compact disc. You might choose, for example, "Simple Gifts: Shaker Chants and Spirituals"--probably the most famous of the Boston Camerata's recordings. It's been described in print as "One of the most remarkable recordings of vocal music I've ever heard," by Norman Weinstein of The Boston Phoenix... and personally, I agree. Your larger donation helps us immensely with our mission, and the CD is just a small token of our appreciation for your generosity. Thank you.

Here's a direct link to this event page at the JCBA website, where you can reserve tickets:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/JaffeCenter/jaffeevents.htm

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org