Re: [BKARTS] First attempt at sewing 10 signatures onto tapes using a frame

Hi John,

First, your question is one we have all faced at some point early in our
careers.  Getting some in-person guidance from the like of Bill Minter or
Frank Mowry is great--if they can accommodate you.  But a few comments from
afar may be useful as well.

There are a number of things that can help with the sewing process such as
marking the stabbing positions on the signatures and pre-stabbing where the
needle will pass through each signature before you start sewing--but this is
hard to write about so have someone show you.

As for the sewing frame. Many binders raise the first signature above the
base of the sewing frame by putting a a pressing board on the frame's base
platform.  To help, you can clamp this board down to the base of the frame
so it doesn't move about.  So, when I had my frame made, I had the front
edge of the slot in the base machined down and chamfered and the overall
base made thicker so that I don't need to have the press board to gain
height for the up-slanting needle and you can get the sewing needle into
those critical first few signatures more easily.  Tim Horton in Michigan now
has this design and he makes absolutely stunning sewing frames.

But, in any case, see if Bill Minter or Frank Mowry or some experienced
binder will meet with you and give some hands-on advice, then you will be
much more pleased with this whole process.

Good luck

Regards,

John MacKrell
---