[BKARTS] Book art workshops

Hi -

I've just joined the list. My apologies for this first post being so long, but...

I'd like to draw attention to upcoming book art workshops to be held at Whispering Woodlands this spring and summer.(More coming this fall)

Located just outside Madison Wisconsin, in rural Paoli. Please refer to the Whispering Woodlands web site for more information and additional program options.  Each artist will provide a two day workshop experience.  Intensives will be provided by Kim Rae Nugent, Jill K. Berry, and Ben Rinehart. Dates and descriptions follow.

Interactive Book Workshop   Kim Rae Nugent
When we read a novel our senses are activated through our imagination. Through an artist's eyes we are treated to visual imagery in a picture book. But an interactive book is "hands on" beckoning it's viewer to participate in the story. As a child Kim was fascinated with how interactive books worked and she still is. Pulling tabs, spinning circles, lifting flaps, touching textural images, how fun! However, it is always more enjoyable to try and recreate the mechanism with your own art. Interactive techniques don't need to be limited to children's art. They can be quite sophisticated in style & message. The base upon which you create an art book will explore the following skills: color theory; working with a limited palette; composition; and background techniques. To add movement to your art: a revolving wheel; maze puzzle; image slide; and tabs will be among the interactive techniques incorporated. Quotes and embellishments can be added as time permits. The nature of this type of interactive art lends itself well to themes of movement, change, and journeys. All skill levels are welcome!
Sat/Sun March 28 & 29 10-4:30 $190/$15 materials

Painted Story Books (AKA Painted Pages and Book Making) Jill K. Berry
Artists' books are a synthesis of every art form I have ever tried: drawing, painting, journalling, photography, poetry and storytelling. In this class we will begin by painting pages with all sorts of mediums, languages and hues. We will then transform our painted pages into books that will contain our words and pictures. Content, composition, palettes, craftsmanship, and creativity are all a part of this way of work-ing, and we will discuss effective techniques in each area. Depending on the energy level of the crowd, we will make five artists' books, maybe more! Material fee includes kits for books, paints, poems, and lots of other goodies. Sat/Sun, May 30 & 31 10-4:30 $240/$30 materials

Boxes With Drawers & Dividers Ben Rinehart
In this two day intensive workshop, learn how to make a single box structure that has a sliding drawer & dividers to hold your most treasured items. Bring in any ephemera to use for closures or embellishments for a personal
touch. Even if you have made books or boxes before, this class
demystifies the problems that commonly occur. Bookbinding techniques
of folding, cutting, covering, insets, chiseling into boards
and building in three-dimensions is discussed in detail. Additional
structures may be explored with time permitting. All levels welcome!
Sat/Sun, July 18, 19 10—4 $175/$15 materials
Limit 10 Watch for a local book signing on July 17 TBD

For more information please refer to:  www.whispering-woodlands.com

Openings are still available, sign up soon.  Many thanks, Jackie
--
Jackie Hefty DBA
Whispering Woodlands