Re: [BKARTS] ?

I'm afraid I have to agree. I can't count the times I have gifted people with my work, whether quilted pieces or calendars, paintings or drawings, only to have them disregarded in some way in the gifting process. I stopped giving away my artwork, except to one or two long- time close friends who had a sense of their value.

My godfather Don was an amazing commercial artist but also did fine art. It always bothered him when people would drop off or pick up commercial work at his home, and he'd take the time to show them his wonderful paintings, and they'd go, 'yeah, yeah, thanks, I gotta go and bring this to the printer'. I think it really devastated him sometimes, he was so excited about the process of creation, justifiably pleased with the results.

And I remember one day a gentleman who had expressed more than just friendship for me, but it hadn't gone yet beyond a dinner out, come in and looked at an illustration I was doing and he said something kind of dismissive about it. That was the end of that! : ) So, I agree with Ogden Nash completely. I might even add 'family' tho sometimes my son sees things I miss.... I guess mostly the art is its own reward. : )

In good spirit,

Kathy G