Re: [BKARTS] Bookbinding Gifts to friends & relatives

What a nice gift, and a historic document to keep with the book for future generations! One of my most treasured gifts from a bookbinder was a small handbound blank journal, hardback, in grey bookcloth, that our teacher gave us at the end of her Secret Belgian Binding binding class at Morton Arboretum several years ago. That's where I met Karen and Robert Hanmer and learned about serious bookbinding! The edges are neatly ploughed, the inside finish is exquisite and I still use it as a benchmark for all my work. It was so generous of her to give us these. So, it's hard I suppose to appreciate a gift unless you know first-hand about what is involved...

I am so appreciative of the knowledge of the people on this list.

Oh, and by the way, my artist's group was thrilled to see the Secret Belgian Binding book I finished Friday just in time for their meeting! They had been looking for a way to make artists' sketch books that open flat, and this one does. I also brought a simple portfolio, such as the ones I made for my kids' artwork last year. When I get a chance I will take photos and put them up on my orchid blog, as an aside...

Thanks,

Kathy