Re: [BKARTS] ?

Peter,
The current discussion of pricing is interesting to me. Coming to bookbinding after years of being in high tech I find that what all of you seem to forget is overhead. The price of a book you make includes not only the materials that went into it and the labour but also the cost of the electricity to run the lights and any machines you have, the cost to heat the studio, the maintenance of the building etc. If a book artist is doing his taxes correctly they will know these costs because they are tax deductible. You should take these costs and divide by the number of hours per year you can/do/should work and that will give you the overhead/hour figure you need to ADD TO the labour cost you want to make. There is no good charging $50/hour if the overhead figure works out to $40/hour. That would mean you are working for $10/hour which I am sure no-one intends to do though we sometimes end up at those rates when jobs take much longer than we thought they would.<grin>
Dave

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

Peter Verheyen wrote:
So, why do so many undervalue their work (time=money and materials) when
selling their work?

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>