Re: [BKARTS] Bookbinding Gifts to friends & relatives

Smart lady. I do hope they were impressed!

Carol
-------

On Mar 4, 2009, at 5:56 AM, Tawn O'Connor wrote:

This Christmas, I repaired antique books for my in-laws. I included an
abbreviated treatment sheet, which did not include a price estimate, but
enough information to give an idea of the work involved. (To a non- binder it
might not look like I did much.) Below is the text portion of one of my
treatment sheets.

Tawn O'Connor

Repairs for TREE OF APPOMATTOX

*      Removed musty odor by sealing book in plastic container with
deodorizing compound for 3 months.

* Cleaned old mull and glue from spine. Replaced with new mull and
spine liner of acid-free paper. Made new endsheets using "antique endleaf"
acid-free paper.

* Custom-tinted linen fabric to match original bookcloth and bonded it
to Japanese tissue to create repair material.

* Rebacked frayed spine, lifting original cover material and inserting
new material underneath.

* Strengthened cover corners and edges with PVA.

* Used acrylic paint/Klucel mixture (quinacridone crimson/ burnt umber
light) to tint and protect cover and edges.

* Cased in text block.

FREE - MERRY CHRISTMAS!