Re: [BKARTS] Book Arts in Gainesville, Florida

Hi Ellen,

Florida's a big state... and I don't know much about anything book arts related happening in Gainesville, which is quite a ways north of us here in Lake Worth--like a 4 hour drive north. I know someone who used that SP-15 you mention when she was in grad school at the University of Florida's art department... but she pretty much used it on her own and taught herself what she needed to know, using the press mostly for monoprints.

Academically, the only universities I know of that have book arts options for students are the University of Central Florida, in Orlando, the University of South Florida, in Tampa, and Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, all of which are sister institutions to UF. Ke Francis and Larry Cooper are the guys to talk to at UCF, but I have to admit I don't know a lot of what they're doing. USF has a long history of printmaking and artists' books through a special studio whose name I forget, but has put out some amazing work.

As for FAU, well that's another hat I wear besides the Convivio Bookworks hat. I'm the programs coordinator at FAU's Jaffe Center for Book Arts (and Seth Thompson, my Convivio partner, is the collections specialist at JCBA). We don't have an academic program yet, but we've got an amazing facility built around an amazing permanent collection of artists' books. JCBA offers many workshops each year in printing, binding, and other related topics, with hand papermaking on the horizon. An academic program is highly likely in the near future. (www.jaffecollection.org )

Gainesville's a great town and the University of Florida is the state's granddaddy of schools... but I think for book arts in Florida, you have to set your sights further south geographically.

Good luck!
John

"Thank you, and write when you can."
 Convivio Bookworks
 John Cutrone & Seth Thompson, proprietors
 Inspired goods from around the globe and close to home...
 Books and broadsides, made by hand in Lake Worth, Florida.
 http://www.conviviobookworks.com

*

***********************************************
Please note that attachments to listserv messages are not permitted,
and are automatically removed by the listserver.
For all your subscription questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.
See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information.

[CoOL]

Search BookArts Archives

This page last changed: May 19, 2009