Re: [BKARTS] Book Artists Unite?

Hi Frank

Well, that is a complex set of issues, which, of course, places it well beyond the intellectual capacity of the American voter.
Naturally I value the art above the materials, but the issue pertains to a matter of what the market will pay for.
They do not pay for living, research, writing, skill, talent or content, etc.
And, at least in the book arts, they only pay what is reckoned to be the value of an artifact based on an antiquated conception of the cost of production. For example I find that an entirely digital work costs more than 4 times a letterpress and cibachrome equivalent per unit. Nevertheless the market values the per item object of the much more costly production based on the old paradigm.

The fact is, I desperately need to make a profit and the fact that I cannot prevents me from producing much of what is possible. On the other hand, because I value the work so highly, I am grateful to get what little I do get in order to keep on keeping on.

I am not sure what you mean by "diminishes the value of the materials used". I do not see it as related.

Keeping artifacts for oneself is what someone who is not an artist does. Their motivation for making something has more to do with personal fulfillment or self conception, self satisfaction etc. In other words, an artist communicates, and someone who makes an artifact that is never intended for communication is not an artist no matter how carefully the object is crafted.

We do agree. A union is disastrous.
I am not sure what you mean by "work".
It certainly will not work for those artists who are excluded. It will, in fact, suppress their work.
It may or may not work for those who belong to the club. They may or may not be more amply rewarded.
Certainly it will work for the middle men and the economic predators who create the club and cull the lion's share of the profits.
The biggest loser will be the wealthy art predators who are now paying less by screwing the artists, but given a union will have to not only pay the members of the club more, but will have to support a class of wealthy middlemen. They will save something, however, in never having to pay the excluded artists.

It is a silly idea to those who do make a living. To the rest of us it is a major threat and not so silly at all.

As an example I am sure Blake, van Gogh, Bukowsli and Edward Weston would never be allowed into such a union. The fact that we have their work now is in spite of unions.

ramblings on a Thursday afternoon

michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Lehmann" <lehmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>