From: Cecile Webster <CWebz@xxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2009 6:46:16 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Unusual "scrapbook" questions

I have a booklet which is 16 sheets (7 x 14 inches each) folded in  half to
make one gathering(7 x 7 inches). It was used as a "scrapbook." Its  value is
sentimental. The cover consists of two decorated wooden boards joined  with a
strip of leather attached with what looks like upholstery tacks. The  leather
has deteriorated and come apart. There are no marks for stitches on the  paper
(which is fragile) and no clue as to how or if the gathering was actually
attached to the covers. There is a dark line in the center of the center sheet
as if a piece of paper was once laid down the fold line. Has anyone ever seen
such a thing? I am going to put on a new spine piece and probably encapsulate
the pages, but I am not sure if/how I will attach the pages to the cover. I
do  not intend to stitch it. Any suggestions?