new spring workshop!

* * * * *

NATURAL DYES for BOOK ARTS APPLICATIONS Instructor John Cutrone

Saturday, April 4, 2009
10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
All levels. No experience necessary.

Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Book Studio 350C

Tuition Schedule:
$85 general public / $70 FAU faculty & staff / $55 FAU students

The colors derived from natural dye sources are exquisite in their subtlety... and sometimes they provide exactly what is necessary to take a book beyond the ordinary. In this workshop, we’ll be dyeing some of the typical things book artists may need to dye: linen thread, silk thread, handmade paper, watercolor paper, unbleached muslin, and vellum. We’ll experiment with common and not-so-common natural dyes: black walnut, madder, red and yellow onionskins, coffee and tea, turmeric, cochineal, and kakishibu--a traditional Japanese dye made from fermented persimmons.

And in the spirit of springtime, we may even try our hand at dyeing something outside the realm of the book arts: eggs. Because you may just get hooked on these processes and decide to use these traditional dyes to color your Easter eggs!

We’ll complete the day by binding a single signature pamphlet stitch book to hold the samples (using dyed linen thread, of course), so that each student has a handy reference to take home for future projects.

TO REGISTER
This link will direct you to the webpage for this workshop, which includes registration directions:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/JaffeCenter/ jaffeworkshops.naturaldyes.htm

If that link is too long, just go to www.jaffecollection.org and click on our WORKSHOPS page.
Alternately, send an email to jcutrone@xxxxxxx to begin the registration process.

INSTRUCTOR
John Cutrone is Programs Coordinator for JCBA, and is also a partner in Lake Worth's Convivio Bookworks, a book arts studio specializing in limited edition letterpress printed books and broadsides. John has had a fascination with natural dyes since one of his earliest book projects, "Autumn" (1995), which was bound in a wrap of handmade paper stained with home-brewed black walnut dye. He also produced, together with Brother Arnold Hadd at the Shaker Press at Sabbathday Lake, Maine, a book of Shaker natural dye recipes. "Sister Mary Ann Hill's Receipt Book: Nineteenth Century Shaker Dye Recipes" (1998) is a letterpress printed book that contains samples of wool dyed using Sister Mary Ann's recipes.

http://www.conviviobookworks.com

*