book press rust

Hi all,

I have acquired an old book press from our local antique store (I'd
rather say "barn" :). It looks pretty much like this one:
http://www.dargate.com/247_auction/247_images/288.jpg

It is in decent condition, but there's some rust on the sides and
unfortunately on the platen, where it is rather deep and makes the
surface uneven. I wish to paint it somehow so that I could use the
press. I don't care if it won't look historically accurate after
painting :)
Hence, I have some questions:

1. What's the best way to clean it before painting?
2. Which paint is good? I've read about rustoleum here on the list,
but I am not sure which rustoleum (tm) product to use.

Thanks for advice,

Annabel
Boston

--